The final recipe for this month’s spotlight food, eggplant, is Eggplant Rollatini!
Beautifully smokey flavoured grilled eggplant slices are topped with a ricotta, parmesan, zucchini and onion mixture all rolled up and topped with a homemade tomato basil sauce and fresh parmesan!
These eggplant rolls are rich, flavourful, light and refreshingly tasty!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1 medium eggplant sliced lengthwise into 8 1/4 inch-thick long slices
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (to season eggplant slices)
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 8 basil leaves thinly sliced, divided
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste (for the tomato sauce)
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (I used light)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (I used Epicure’s Herbed Garlic)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I used Epicure’s Garlic Pepper)
- Brush eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- On medium heat, lay eggplant slices on your BBQ grill and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes (or until beautiful grill marks are visible)
- Flip eggplant over and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side, again until beautiful grill marks are visible.
- Remove eggplant slices from the grill and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a frying pan on medium/high heat, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and garlic until fragrant and garlic is browned.
- Add crushed tomatoes, 3/4 of the thinly sliced basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In an 8×8 cooking dish, spoon 1/4 cup-1/2 cup tomato sauce and spread around the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- In a frying pan on medium/high heat, heat remaining teaspoon of olive oil, onion and zucchini until browned and crisp tender (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine ricotta, 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan, remaining 1/4 basil, egg, salt and pepper.
- Add onion and zucchini mixture to ricotta mixture.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture onto the eggplant slice and roll up.
- Place eggplant roll (seam down) into prepared cooking dish.
- Repeat for remaining eggplant slices and ricotta mixture.
- Top eggplant rolls with remaining tomato basil sauce.
- Top with remaining fresh parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until tomato sauce is bubbling and the parmesan cheese is melted.
4 responses so far It's MY Time to Shine