…Though as I type this (which is Thursday during lunch hour because I knew that Thursday night would be a WHIRLWIND of packing for the cottage, making my famous roasted veggie infused whole wheat turkey lasagna for Saturday, making THIS recipe, grilling veggies for subs and I could go on and on) our forecast is cool and rainy for the weekend!
With summer comes certain must-have treats!
In our household, one must-have summer time treat is rice crispy squares! My father in law in particular absolutely adores them! And whats not to adore really? They’re crispy, ooey, gooey, buttery, chewy pieces of pure bliss!
What’s not to adore? Well, for me personally, the freaky deaky marshmallow.
Yes folks, marshmallows give me the heebies. It’s not always been this way but since I’ve grown more aware of the foods I’m putting into my body, the marshmallow just doesn’t make the cut for me anymore.
In anticipation of this recipe I checked out the ingredients label on a bag of marshmallows at my local supermarket and here’s what it read:
Corn syrup, sugar, modified corn starch, dextrose, water, gelatin, tetrasodium pyrophosphate and artificial flavouring.
NO THANK YOU!
THAT BEING SAID I too love a rice crispy square every now and again and so I went on a hunt for a recipe that didn’t involve the marshmallow at all. I had high hopes but somewhere deep within me I was sure it couldn’t be done.
And then I did what I often do when I need a GUARANTEED TO BE DELICIOUS recipe. I headed on over to Angela’s home, Oh She Glows to see if she had anything comparable to this classic treat.
In true Angela fashion, she has a FANTASTIC recipe that is quick, super easy, delicious AND so much CLEANER both to make AND clean up than the classic ooey, gooey marshmallow version!
Her recipe calls for almond butter but I’ve used White Chocolate Wonderful natural peanut butter, Dark Chocolate Dreams natural peanut butter and Bees Knees natural peanut butter and each time they come out absolutely perfect!
And the best part?
I feel good about serving these because I know exactly what is in them, and it is all good baby!
|Peanut Butter Crispy Rice Squares!|
- 1/2 cup White Chocolate Wonderful Natural Peanut Butter (or any nut butter!)
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Syrup (you will likely find this in your natural food section in your supermarket!)
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance butter spread (or regular butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal (such as Rice Crispies!)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate for melting and drizzling! (I use a few squares from a Lindt 90% dark chocolate bar)
- Line an 8×8 square baking dish with wax paper.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium-high heat combine peanut butter, brown rice syrup and butter until heated and silky smooth!
- Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add crispy rice cereal and stir stir stir until combined!
- Pour peanut butter bliss into wax paper’d baking dish.
- Press the cereal down and even out into a nice layer (You are going to want to have wet fingers or a wet spatula because it is gooey goodness!)
- Put dish in freezer to cool for about 5 minutes.
- While squares are cooling melt your chocolate!
- Take the squares out of the freezer and drizzle with a spoon in whatever patterns you want!
- Put squares BACK into freezer to allow the chocolate to harden. Once cooled, remove from freezer and cut up!
I promise it will look like this, just KEEP STIRRING! :LOL:
This is what happens after 1 minute in the zapper!
Put squares BACK into freezer to allow the chocolate to harden. Once cooled, remove from freezer and cut up!