A few months ago, while researching quinoa recipes in anticipation for this month I stumbled upon a recipe for pizza bites at a blog called So Very Blessed. At first glance these babies looked absolutely DELICIOUS and I knew I had to put them to the test!
The very concept of this recipe is one that you can so easily put your own flare into and I think that’s why I fell in love with it!
I followed the recipe pretty closely, only I separated half of the batch and made a vegetarian version because I’m not overly keen on pepperoni or turkey pepperoni….Jeff ate 8 of these things (the turkey pepperoni version!) before deciding that he DID NOT like quinoa Truthfully I think he doesn’t want to admit that he tried something new and different and actually LIKED it but that’s just me…
I’m impressed that he even ate one so I can’t complain that he concluded that he didn’t like these
I asked him to put into words what he did not enjoy about these pieces of pizza goodness and he said “they are too healthy tasting for me. Too much KATIE and not enough JEFF” Fair enough
Each bite is packed with light, fluffy, nutty tasting quinoa and what’s more, the combination of garlic, onion, basil, tomatoes, pepperoni(if you use it!), cheese and spices really gives these beauties their pizza flavour!
These are a delicious and untraditional twist on pizza and make for great finger food!
|Pizzalicious Quinoa Bites!||
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (I used red and white!)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped onion (or less if you aren’t a huge onion fan!)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- *1/2 cup chopped turkey pepperoni
- *1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon each Epicure’s Spanish Smoked Paprika and Pizza Seasoning
- **I split this bowl into two and added 1/2 cup of chopped turkey pepperoni for Jeff’s and 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes for mine. You can add as much or as little turkey pepperoni and tomatoes as you would like!
- Pizza sauce for dipping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with olive oil spray.
- Combine all ingredients (except pizza sauce) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Fill each muffin tin with the quinoa mixture (about 1 tablespoon) and press down.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and brown.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
10 responses so far It's MY Time to Shine